Sensitive teeth can be very bothersome while you enjoy your favorite foods and drinks. Live your life and don’t feel restricted from eating your favorite foods! Use a toothpaste designed to protect your teeth. Occasionally I experience sensitive teeth in cold weather and eating ice cream. The pounding nerves in my teeth are very distracting and puts me in a bad mood. Very uncomfortable during the winter time. Also not being to eat ice cream made me look for a solution. I realized there are plenty of dental products that fight sensitivity. Providing a protective layer to help you enjoy the weather and your food. Finding a solution for my sensitivity issues helped me live my life more comfortably!
Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief Toothpaste provides 24/7 relief from sensitivity. Covering exposed nerves with a protective shield over your teeth. My front teeth usually experience sensitivity due to dental work in the past and that is my problem area. I started to use Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief Toothpaste and I haven’t felt sensitivity in my teeth in a few weeks. I even tested it out by indulging in ice cream and drinking ice cold water. I was protected and I was covered. No more sensitivity! The toothpaste also has a flavorful minty taste to leave my breath fresh and clean. Pain is lessened and I don’t have to worry about my teeth being exposed to cold temperatures. Try it today and let us know what you think! Enjoy life, enjoy your favorite foods!
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Dr Tung’s REJUV for Gums
Do you have sensitive gums or experience tenderness? Hopefully you are using a very soft toothbrush to eliminate additional stress to your gums. Or do you eat hard food or drink acidic drinks? All these factors can contribute to the health of your gums. Maintaining healthy, strong gums is important for your overall health and will affect your future. Therapeutic medications can assist with maintaining your gum health and keeping away any diseases. Oral care should be a top priority for you and your families life. I generally have healthy gums however I can always use a dental product to keep gums strong and healthy.
Dr Tung’s REJUV for Gums is a 100% natural, liquid medication to soothe and massage gums. The ingredients are natural and organic with no alcohol or sugar. The liquid medication smells like herbs and plants. Simply smooth onto your gums for an enriched experienced. Conditions and soothes your gums. Great for tender gums or any cuts in your mouth. The liquid was very soothing and felt fresh. You can either use your finger or a gum brush to massage the liquid into your gums. Great for receding or sensitive gums. Try it for a healthier and soothing gums. Live comfortably and don’t let unhealthy gums affect your overall health. Fix it today for a healthy lifestyle.
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Binaca Breath Strips
Freshen your breath after meals and before important meetings! Don’t have time to brush your teeth after every meal? Find a product that you can use on the go. I am always in my car driving to meetings, dinners, work, and school. For me, having a dental product that can easily freshen my breath on the go is a must. It’s the only way to keep my breath fresh wherever I am. My daily routine consists of brushing my teeth twice a day, flossing, and rinsing my mouth. But after eating snacks and enjoying refreshments throughout the day, my breath needs to be controlled. I prefer having a small, pocket-sized product to freshen up my breath fast. Such as mouth sprays, gum, mints, or my favorite, breath strips.
Binaca Breath Strips are a great way to freshen your breath anytime, on the go. The light strip of mouth wash gently dissolves. Your breath is instantly freshened with a blast of peppermint. The Binaca Breath Strips are sugar-free and taste great! There are 24 breath strips per pack. I usually can use one pack for about 2 weeks depending on how often I use them. I usually have at least 1 strip a day and more if necessary. They are a great way to freshen my breath and I can easily pass the small packet around to the group of people that I am with. They are discreet and I can easily fit a packet into my pocket or my wallet! Kills bad breath germs and I can always have fresh breath on the go. These are one of my favorite breath freshening products. I highly recommend for their reliability and ease of travel!
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
What is herpes?
Herpes simplex is a viral disease from the herpesviridae family caused by both Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). Infection with the herpes virus is categorized into one of several distinct disorders based on the site of infection.
- Oral herpes, the visible symptoms of which are colloquially called cold sores or fever blisters, is an infection of the face or mouth. Oral herpes is the most common form of infection.
- Genital herpes, known simply as herpes, is the second most common form of herpes.
- Other disorders such as herpetic whitlow, herpes gladiatorum, ocular herpes, cerebral herpes infection encephalitis, Mollaret’s meningitis, neonatal herpes, and possibly Bell’s palsy are all caused by herpes simplex viruses.
The following text is about herpes labialis (oral herpes).
Oral herpes, also known as herpes labialis, is the most common type of herpes which occurs on the lip. An outbreak typically causes small blisters or sores on or around the mouth commonly known as cold sores or fever blisters. They tend to occur in the same location, be unilateral and recur two or three times a year on average.
Signs and symptoms
The initial viral tissue invasion occurs typically in childhood or adolescence. This primary infection is often asymptomatic and may not be noticed by the patient or parents. When perioral symptoms do occur with the primary infection, they usually manifest 6-24 hours before the appearance of a lesion and include tingling, pain and/or itching in the perioral area. Cold sores are usually seen on the lips and extend to the skin around the mouth. Other areas on the face, chin, or nose are sometimes involved. Lesions begin as erythematous areas that swell into papules. These become vesicles, which then collapse into ulcers. This takes 1-3 days. The ulcers crust over and the skin returns to normal within about two weeks.
Oral mucosal lesions are rare and not generally associated with fever. They are usually restricted to small clusters of micro vesicles that rupture to leave punctate ulcers, typically on the palatal gingiva. Immunocompromised people may develop chronic ulcers, often on the tongue.
Causes of herpes labialis
Herpes labialis infection occurs when the herpes simplex virus comes into contact with oral mucosal tissue or abraded skin of the mouth. The majority of the viruses enter after an uninfected person has direct contact with someone carrying the virus (either with or without noticeable lesions). Simply touching an infected person is often the way children get exposed. Adolescents and adults frequently get exposed by skin contact also but may get their first exposure by kissing or sexual contact, especially for HSV-2.
Cold sore outbreaks may be influenced by stress, menstruation, sunlight, sunburn, fever, dehydration, or local skin trauma. Surgical procedures such as dental or neural surgery, lip tattooing, or dermabrasion are also common triggers. HSV-1 can in rare cases be transmitted to newborn babies by family members or hospital staff who have cold sores; this can cause a severe disease called Neonatal herpes simplex.
Since this is a viral infection antibiotics will be of no use in treatment. Symptoms may go away on their own without treatment in 1 to 2 weeks.
Currently, there is no treatment able to eliminate the infection permanently. Only a few products help accelerate healing and reduce the duration of the symptoms. Your health care provider may prescribe you one of these antiviral medicines:
While using medications you can also make yourself feel better by following some of these steps:
- Apply ice or a warm washcloth to the sores to help ease pain.
- Wash the blister gently with germ-fighting (antiseptic) soap and water. This helps prevent spreading the virus to other body areas.
- Avoid hot beverages, spicy and salty foods, and citrus.
- Gargle with cool water or eat popsicles.
- Rinse with salt water.
- Take a pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Herpes infection may be severe and dangerous if:
- It occurs in or near the eye
- You have a weakened immune system due to certain diseases and medications.
Less dangerous complications are:
- Return of mouth sores and blisters,
- Spread of the virus to other skin areas,
- Bacterial skin infection.
To prevent an outbreak, it is important that you avoid avoid the triggers listed above. Prevention of HSV-1 transmission is of equal importance. Some patients shed the virus in the absence of active lesions, an occurrence that cannot be remedied. Patients who undergo an active outbreak must be constantly alert to ensure that the virus in the infective exudate does not touch others. They must never kiss another person, nor engage in oral/genital sexual activity. Furthermore, they must avoid oral contact with anything that might touch the lips or skin of another person before it is decontaminated. They must avoid sharing such objects as drinking glasses, coffee mugs, straws, washcloths, towels, spoons, forks, lip balms, and medication dosing devices. All infected objects must be washed in hot water; boiling water is the most protective. They must refrain from touching the lesions, since they may transfer the virus to their hands. During a typical day, the hands contact hundreds of surfaces, and the virus could reach an object that is picked up by another person. If that person touches their lips, an invasion of the lips is likely. Lesions should be washed gently with soap and water, but the washcloth used should be laundered immediately after contact, as it is also infective. It may be worthwhile to advise patients to utilize a one-time use towel that can be discarded to further reduce the chance of cross-infection.
You can also prevent cold sore by getting enough sleep, improving your diet, try taking a multi-vitamin & mineral pill. If sunlight is one of your triggers, use a good quality sun block.
Herpes labialis is endemic throughout the world. A large survey of young adults on six continents reported that 33.2% of males and 28% of females had herpes labialis on two or more occasions during the year before study.
Important note: If your symptoms get worse and the infection spreads on other parts of your skin, do not try to heal them yourself. See a medical doctor to get a proper treatment!
A canker sore is a little ulcer in the protective lining of your mouth. Unlike cold sores, which are caused by the herpes virus, canker sores are not the result of viral or bacterial infections and are not contagious.
Canker sores are caused by:
- Injuries to the mouth, as seen frequently by contact sports players. Accidentally biting the inside of the cheek or lip may also result in a canker sore
- Temperature - hot food or drink may cause a canker sore in the area of the mouth that was essentially burnt by the offending substance
- Spicy and/or acidic foods often produce a canker sore as a response to the irritation these spices and acids create in the mouth
- The use of chewing (smokeless) tobacco will often cause a canker sore to develop in the area of the mouth where the tobacco is held, due to the irritating chemicals found in the addictive product
- Poor-fitting, complete or partial dentures may cause canker sores in the area of the mouth where the denture may rubbing on the tissue. The development of a canker sore is often one of the first signs that indicate the need for a denture reline or adjustment by your dentist
Canker sores usually appear on the inner surface of the cheeks and lips, tongue, upper surface of the mouth, and the base of the gums.
- One or more painful, red spots or bump that develops into an open ulcer
- White or yellow center
- Small size (most often under 1/3 inch across)
- Gray color as healing starts
- Less common symptoms include:
- General discomfort or uneasiness (malaise)
- Swollen lymph nodes
Pain often goes away in 7 to 10 days. It can take 1 to 3 weeks for a canker sore to completely heal. Large ulcers can take longer to heal.
You can treat your canker sore with various home remedies, such as:
- Salt or baking soda rinse - Mix a few pinches of salt in a glass of warm water. Swish around inside your mouth and spit out, repeating two or three times a day.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide solution - Mix equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide (3%) and apply to sore with Q-tip. Take care not to swallow any of the hydrogen peroxide if possible. Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic that will reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth and help the canker sore heal.
- Milk of magnesia - Dab it on active spots a few times a day. The antacid effect of milk of magnesia neutralizes the acidic environment, changing the pH, and making it less supportive of the bacteria in the mouth that aggravate the canker sore.
Try to minimize the discomfort of canker sores by avoiding acidic and spicy foods as well as abrasive foods such as nuts, all of which can be irritating.
- Switch to a toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), a foaming agent that may contribute to recurrences.
Do you need to see a doctor?
If you feel very uncomfortable, a doctor will typically prescribe a topical steroid to quell the inflammatory response. Generally, if a lesion lingers more than two weeks, get it checked.
Brush Buddies Justin Bieber Sonic Toothbrush
Oh Justin Bieber! We love your music and your smile! You will want to use the same toothbrush as Justin Bieber! The Brush Buddies Justin Bieber Sonic Toothbrush is an upgrade from your regular standard toothbrush! I prefer purchasing electric toothbrushes for a great deal! I can simply purchase brush heads to continue using my favorite electric toothbrush! I need to use soft bristles for my sensitive gums and teeth. At the same time, I need an electric toothbrush to deliver the brush strokes needed to shake all plaque and food off my teeth. Using an electric toothbrush is proven to provide better results for your teeth and gums. Your dentist will notice the difference!
The Brush Buddies Justin Bieber Sonic Toothbrush delivers 30,000 brush strokes per minute! Impossible if using a regular toothbrush! Guaranteed to clean teeth better than your standard toothbrush. Also you get to enjoy looking at Justin Bieber while you are brushing your teeth! The bristles are designed for junior or adult teeth! Perfectly shaped to really wrap around your teeth and glide over your gums! The bristles were soft and did not bother my gums. The brush strokes provided a really good clean for my teeth. On the back of the toothbrush head there is also a tongue cleaner. A great way to easily clean your entire mouth! Cleaning your tongue eliminates bad breath germs all day. I highly recommend the Brush Buddies Justin Bieber Sonic Toothbrush! Clean your teeth in style and support your favorite music idol! Stay cool and brush on!
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster
Envious of white, dazzling smiles? I sure am! I would love to get my teeth treated professionally but can’t afford the luxury. Especially with the upkeep and continued treatments. I strive to get the same quality bright white smile at home. There are so many whitening products out there and it can be overwhelming. Check out the tag #whitening for all of our whitening products and reviews. I have sensitive teeth so whitening my teeth can be a struggle. I prefer short and quick treatments as opposed to longer treatments. The longer and stronger the treatment my nerves start to get the best of me. However I need the most effective whitening solution in the shortest amount of time. I’m also pretty busy so I do not have too much time to add whitening to my daily routine.
Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster is an efficient and easy solution to whiten your teeth at home! Just add the Arm & Hammer whitening booster to your toothbrush along with your favorite toothpaste and brush your teeth! How simple, there is no extra step that you need to take. Simply brush your teeth twice a day and continue your daily oral routine. The Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster is a clear gel that reminded me of the same gel in whitening strips. The best part was that I could add it to my favorite toothpaste so that my breath stayed clean and I could enjoy the benefits of my regular toothpaste. The product recommends one week for full results but I was able to see results within a few days. Within a few days, my smile was 1 shade lighter. I can’t wait to see the whitening results after a month of using this product. I experienced no sensitivity and was happy to continue using my favorite toothpaste. My teeth were clean and got a boost of whitening. I’m happy to show off my smile and recommend to anyone who wants to whiten their teeth!
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. Dental implants may be an option for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason.
Types of dental implants
- Endosteal (in the bone): This is the most commonly used type of implant. The various types include screws, cylinders or blades surgically placed into the jawbone. Each implant holds one or more prosthetic teeth. This type of implant is generally used as an alternative for patients with bridges or removable dentures.
- Subperiosteal (on the bone): These are placed on top of the jaw with the metal framework’s posts protruding through the gum to hold the prosthesis. These types of implants are used for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and who have minimal bone height.
Dental implants are very durable as they are made of titanium and metal which is fully compatible with the human body. The dental implant itself is drilled into the jaw and bone socket. The process is completely painless as you are given a local anaesthetic. Once this is inserted it needs to fuse with the bone. Thereafter it takes 5-8 months to fix the prosthetic tooth onto the implant. Dental implants or implant-retained dental prostheses are very stable, as they have a root-like portion that fits into the bone socket, like natural teeth. People who have implant-supported artificial teeth can chew efficiently.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- The mouth is restored as closely as possible to its natural state – no need to be embarrassed because your smile looks different, or worrying that missing teeth will limit your ability to join in the fun or that removable dentures or tooth-supported replacement teeth will loosen or fall out when you talk, eat or laugh. Teeth restored with dental implants are teeth that let you, not your teeth, lead your life.
- Implants preserve the integrity of facial structures - a face without teeth can sag and appear sunken and sad. Dental implants allow you to maintain the natural shape of your face and smile.
- Your smile is improved when replacement teeth look more like natural teeth - Even when only one tooth is missing, long term esthetics are usually much better with an implant supported replacement tooth than with a traditional tooth supported bridge. This is particularly important in the front of your mouth, where preventing a visible bone defect is critical for natural appearancee
- Adjacent teeth are not compromised to replace missing teeth – placing a tooth-supported bridge requires grinding away the teeth on one or both sides of the missing tooth or teeth – thereby damaging healthy teeth to restore those that are missing. The modified healthy teeth are attached to, and support, the bridge. Dental implants go in the jawbone, in the spot where your missing tooth root was, without impacting healthy teeth. They also help prevent healthy, adjacent teeth from shifting as they would if an empty space were left for an extended period of time.
- Overall quality of life is enhanced with replacement teeth that look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- Convenient oral hygiene - It is much easier to care for an implant supported crown, which can be cleaned like a natural tooth. In comparison, a tooth supported bridge requires the use of a floss threader for proper cleaning. It is also more convenient to clean a full set of implant supported replacement teeth than a traditional denture.
- Improved appearance.
- Restored self-esteem and renewed self-confidence.
- A surgical procedure for implant placement and a period of healing is necessary before the prosthesis may be completed.
- Dental implant procedures may entail an increase in cost compared to conventional dentistry.
- Mechanical fracture of fixtures, bridges, bridge attaching screws or abutment screws and loosening of screws can occur. Reported occurrences are less than 5% of patients. Trauma to the mouth or jaws or stress concentration from the bridge could result in mechanical failure and complications.
- Porcelain fracture of crowns and bridgework on implants is much more prevalent than on natural teeth due to a lack of shock-absorbency between the implants and the bone.
Teeth whitening is a common procedure in general dentistry. It involves bleaching your teeth in order to make them lighter. Teeth whitening can’t make your teeth brilliant white, but it can lighten the existing color by several shades.
Causes of tooth discoloration
When trying to determine where tooth discoloration comes from, take into consideration there are two types of tooth stains: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic stains are known as surface stains. These are caused when outside elements affect the surface of the tooth. Intrinsic stains result when the interior sections of the tooth have darkened.
Food and Drink – Coffee, tea, soda and red wine can cause tooth stains when consumed over a long period of time. Berries, curries and soy sauce are just a few of the foods that stain teeth. Foods and drinks of extreme temperatures can also affect tooth color – the heat and cold open and close the pores in your teeth, allowing staining agents to attack them with greater force.
Smoking - Smoking can greatly discolor teeth. But chewing tobacco isn’t much safer — any tobacco product will have devastating effects on teeth.
Oral Hygiene - Generally speaking, bad oral habits will negatively affect your teeth’s health. Discoloration is just a minor side effect of inefficient dental care.
Drugs - Antibiotics such as tetracycline can cause discoloration in children whose teeth are still forming. Other drugs, including antihistamines, antipsychotic and antihypertensive medications may also cause staining. Some mouthwashes may also leave behind teeth discoloration.
Dental Fluorosis – Fluoride is incredibly important in preventing tooth decay. But too much fluoride can lead to dental fluorosis, a condition that causes white spots or lines on the teeth. Dental fluorosis only affects children whose permanent teeth are still forming beneath the gum line. But don’t start limiting fluoride quite yet — see a dentist to determine how much fluoride your child should be consuming.
Trauma - Chipped teeth or broken teeth can darken due to enamel damage or a dead nerve. This teeth discoloration is also possible if a tooth is not capped following major dental surgery, such as a root canal. If you have a single dark tooth, see a dentist to fix any underlying dental problems.
Dental Fillings – Tooth decay is often evident in brown or black spots on teeth. On that note, a large amalgam tooth filling can also cause outlying enamel to appear gray.
Genetics and Aging - This falls under both categories. Some people are just born with tooth discoloration, and unfortunately most people’s teeth will not age gracefully. Everyday wear and tear will contribute to tooth discoloration over time.
Types Of Teeth Whitening
There are various ways to whiten your teeth, but the two most common are in-office treatment and the do-it-yourself approach, with over the counter products.
Professional in-office teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dental procedure in the world today. Unlike home-use whitening systems that incorporate low-dose bleaching agents, in-office whitening (also known as power bleaching, power whitening, professional whitening or chairside whitening) takes place under carefully monitored conditions which allow for the safe, controlled, pain-free use of a relatively high concentration of bleaching gel – yielding results that are visible immediately.
You can whiten your teeth at home. While it will not work in the same way as a professional whitening service, they can help whiten your teeth and they won’t cost you a fortune. Just remember to talk to your dentist before you try any at-home remedies to make sure they won’t damage your teeth.
Some of the home remedies for teeth whitening are:
- Teeth whitening strips – you can buy them at any pharmacy, but make sure that they do not contain chlorine dioxide, which can actually damage your enamel.
- Use whitening gel - also available at pharmacies, just brush the gel onto your teeth with a small brush, just as you normally would – for at least two minutes. Then, spit out the remaining gel and rinse out your mouth until the gel is gone.
- Use hydrogen peroxide - Buy a 3% solution, which is safe for oral use. Use a mixture of the hydrogen peroxide and water as a mouthwash. Use it daily before you brush your teeth to whiten your teeth naturally. Make sure to mix it in a 50/50 solution with water.
- Baking soda - Wet your toothbrush and dip it in baking soda. Brush for two minutes and rinse your mouth.
Is teeth whitening permanent?
No, teeth whitening isn’t permanent. It can last from a few months to up to three years, but this varies from person to person. Generally, the whitening effect won’t last as long if you smoke or drink red wine, tea or coffee, which can all stain your teeth.
Dr. Fresh Travel Kit
Who loves to travel? Travel light with dental essentials. Pack you bag with an easy to use pouch with toothbrush and toothpaste. Brush your teeth anywhere and keep your toothbrush clean in a enclosed pouch. Especially in public restrooms and airplanes, you will want to seal your toothbrush tight! Avoid germs and keep your travel pack safe in your luggage. I prefer having small pouches for my personal items that are easily accessible in my carry on luggage. Having a convenient travel pack for my toothbrush and toothpaste makes traveling easier and clean!
Dr. Fresh Travel Kit is an affordable travel pack which includes a toothbrush, toothpaste, toothbrush holder, and a plastic pouch. The Dr. Fresh toothbrush has soft bristles that gently glide across your teeth and gums. Also includes a travel-sized Crest toothpaste that cleans and freshens your breath. A much needed refreshment after traveling. Keep clean and stay fresh with the convenient travel pack. Keep everything together to stay organized and clean. I enjoyed having this travel pack and highly recommend to anyone who needs to brush their teeth on the go. The convenient pack can fit in a purse or your car for quick brushing during travel time. Safe travels!
Rating: 5 stars out of 5